The Breakdown by B.A. Paris

The Breakdown by B.A. Paris
Genre: Psychological Thriller
Source: Netgalley
Rating: 4/5


This book starts with a creepy storm and a lonely woman driving in a solitaire street, when she finds a car with someone inside and she decides not to stop... Next day, she discovers that there was a woman inside the car, and someone killed her. Could she had prevented it? She will never know it, but this will be the start of her worst nightmare!

"I try to relax but images of last night flash through my mind, one after the other, like stills in a film. I see the car ahead of me on the road, I see myself swerving out around it, I see myself turning my head to look at the driver. And the I see the blur of a woman's face, looking back at me through the window."

I have to confess that I've read this book in just two days, I couldn't put it down, but after reading it I had to put it off for a few days to process all the tension and fear this book had made me. I am amazed how B.A. Paris can create this kind of tension and paranoia with a book, really, from now on you will be scared of your own shadow!
Forgetting things is something that has happened to everyone one time or another, but Cass' mother died of dementia and she is really scared that she is losing her mind. Is she forgetting things or is the killer playing a tricky game with her mind?
I think dementia is one of the worst illness a family can suffer, seeing how your loved one doesn't recognise you and watching them losing their vitality and memories day by day without anything to reverse it, it's devastating. That's why Cass is so scared to forget things, she had seen what this illness had done to her mother and her, will she be ready to face the truth?
This is the second book I have read of B.A. Paris and I loved this one more than the first one, there were some gripping moments in this book that I just wanted to hide behind the duvet and hope that the phone stop ringing!
Do you trust your own mind?

Labels: , , ,